FC United v Bootle - FA Cup Replay

A forum for posting matchday information only, for both home and away games. Opposition supporters are welcome to post - no registration necessary for them.
Post Reply
Ben Hughes

FC United v Bootle - FA Cup Replay

Post by Ben Hughes »


FC Live returns later with the FA Cup Replay between FC United & Bootle.

If you cannot make the game, tune in from 7.30pm

Available in & around North Manchester on North Manchester 106.6 FM.

And online across the world at the usual http://fc-radio.co.uk
Ben Hughes

Re: FC United v Bootle - FA Cup Replay

Post by Ben Hughes »


This evening FC United host Bootle FC in a FA Cup Replay.

If you cannot make the game, tune in from 7.30pm on 106.6 FM in and around North Manchester, or online anywhere in the world on http://www.fc-radio.co.uk.

Here is Statto Paul's Preview
https://audioboom.com/posts/7937241-fc- ... e-h-fa-cup
Ben Hughes

Re: FC United v Bootle - FA Cup Replay

Post by Ben Hughes »


All the goals from last night's FA Cup Replay

https://audioboom.com/posts/7937747-fc- ... e-h-fa-cup


FC Live's post match interview with FC United Manager Neil Reynolds

https://audioboom.com/posts/7937964-pos ... ootle-fc-h
Ben Hughes

Re: FC United v Bootle - FA Cup Replay

Post by Ben Hughes »


Highlights from last night's FA Cup Replay between FC United and Bootle FC at Broadhurst Park.

Nick Duckett

Re: FC United v Bootle - FA Cup Replay

Post by Nick Duckett »

FC United held in FA Cup by last gasp Bootle/ FC United snatch dramatic late FA Cup victory over Bootle

FC United threw away a two goal lead in the Emirates FA Cup at Bootle FC on Saturday afternoon and will have to do it all again in a replay at Broadhurst Park on Tuesday.
The Reds were 2-0 up after 24 minutes and were looking on course for the next round. However, the hosts fought back in the second half and after scoring a penalty in the 69th minute, they bagged an equaliser deep into injury time.
The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes when a ball over the top found Cedric Main who teed himself up well and headed the ball over Ryan Jones and into the net. The lead was doubled seven minutes later when Matty Rain found Main in the box, he turned and fired a great shot past Jones.
It seemed at the break how many would FC get, but Bootle had other ideas and they were in control of a second half that FC struggled to get any football played whatsoever.
The impressive Ben Hodkinson headed wide when unmarked and Michael Carberry fired at Dan Lavercombe, who was back in the side after returning from illness. Carl Peers smashed the bar with a shot as the FC goal led a charmed life. The Reds were handed a massive lifeline on 68 minutes when a shot was well saved by Lavercombe, but it did seem the officials were generous as the ball was suspiciously close to crossing the line.
A minute later, the lead was halved when Finlay Sinclair-Smith tripped Hodkinson and the referee awarded the penalty, Hodkinson getting up and placing the ball into the bottom corner.
Deep into injury time, it looked like FC had “got away with one” and would see the game home, but Bootle skipper Liam Loughlan had other ideas, smashing a shot from the edge of the box into the bottom corner for a deserved equaliser. Even a red card for Connor Millington couldn’t dampen the day for the home team who will now look forward to a replay on Tuesday.
Website man of the match: Michael Potts. Best of a struggling bunch this week. As usual, never stopped pressing and probing.
Report by Steven Wood

FC United snatch dramatic late FA Cup victory over Bootle
Regan Linney scored a 97th minute winner as FC United came from behind to snatch a dramatic 3-2 victory over Bootle in the Emirates FA Cup first qualifying round replay at Broadhurst Park on Tuesday night.
Finlay Sinclair-Smith put the Reds 1-0 up in the 12th minute with a superb strike into the top corner. However, two second half goals from the visitors looked to have won the tie, until Matty Rain steered home a 90th minute equaliser from close-range and substitute Linney won the match deep into stoppage time with a strike from inside the box to spark wild celebrations in front of the St Mary's Road End.
Manager Neil Reynolds was back in the dugout after missing the last two matches through illness and he was keen to see his side overcome Bootle at the second attempt. When Sinclair-Smith got the early breakthrough, it looked like the replay could be a straight forward passage into the second qualifying round. Bootle had other ideas though and proved they could go toe-to-toe with Reds for second time in four days.
Striker Tom Peterson equalised five minutes into the second half after Drew Baker failed to deal with a header into the box. Baker accidentally headed the ball into the air and The Bucks forward was more assured with his header – guiding it past goalkeeper Dan Lavercombe for 1-1.
If the equaliser took United by surprise, the visitors’ second goal had them reeling. On 67 minutes, centre-back Aaron Morris was left trying to defend against two men and was unlucky to see the ball ricochet away from him before falling kindly for substitute Paul Foy, who curled a peach of a strike into the top right corner from the left-hand edge of the box for 1-2.
Despite the setback, the Reds never lost their heads and kept plugging away. However, time was ticking on and it looked like FC United’s place in this year’s FA Cup was slipping away from them. A resolute Bootle held their lead for 23 minutes until Morris darted down the right wing and played a one-to-two with Sinclair-Smith before expertly crossing for Rain, who looked like the calmest man in Broadhurst Park as he volleyed the ball into the ground and – more importantly – the back of the net for a priceless equaliser.
With extra time and a possible penalty shootout looming, both sides looked keen to try to snatch a winner in normal time. The Bucks didn’t sit back, but United were the team in the ascendancy, especially because they were backed by the always boisterous Broadhurst Park crowd.

Substitute Keaton Mulvey, introduced late on for the injured Michael Potts, had a glorious chance to win it in the 93rd minute when he was played through one-on-one by Baker, but his shot was well saved by Ryan Jones.
However, Jones could do nothing about Linney’s winner moments later. Sinclair-Smith was in the thick of the action once again and his storming run down the right wing resulted in him whipping a dangerous ball into the near post.

Despite having eight players in and around the six-yard box, Bootle were defenceless to stop Linney firing the ball home and FC United into the next round of the FA Cup. It was cruel on the visitors after a determined display, but it was also a well-deserved win and characterful performance from the Reds, who travel to Blyth Spartans in the next round.
Website man of the match: Finlay Sinclair-Smith. Another impressive performance from the always lively winger. Had a hand in all three goals, including a great individual strike and the all-important cross that led to the winner.
Post Reply