Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

A forum for posting matchday information only, for both home and away games. Opposition supporters are welcome to post - no registration necessary for them.
Post Reply
Guy Mansfield

Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Guy Mansfield »

Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR).

Matches Played at the Millbank Linnets Stadium, Murdishaw Ave, Runcorn, WA7 6GJ.

Admission - Adults £8.00, Concessions £5.00, Accompanied Children are Free of Charge
Paul Hinson
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Paul Hinson »

Runcorn Linnets were formed in April 2006, replacing the defunct Runcorn FC Halton. The original club dated back to 1918.
FCUM’s best FA Trophy run was 2014-15 when they negotiated 6 rounds before losing 0-1 at National League Torquay United in the Quarter Finals.
The clubs have not met in a competitive fixture, but the Linnets did play a friendly at Broadhurst Park in August 2019, losing 0-2 to goals from Nialle Rodney and Jack Lenehan.
Arron Morris played for Runcorn between 2016-19 and was Player of The Season in 2016-17 and 2018-19.
Connor McCarthy scored 9 goals in 42 appearances for FCUM in the 2017-18 season.
The visitors are unbeaten in 11 away games, winning 7 and drawing 4 since losing 2-3 at Grantham Town on August 17th.
Live FCUM match updates at:
Ben Hughes

Re: Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Ben Hughes »


Back by absolutely no demand whatsoever, Swampy and Ben are back with another edition of Red Rebel Radio, this week providing you with a preview for Saturday's FA Trophy tie at Runcorn Linnets. ... mber-2019/
Ben Hughes

Re: Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Ben Hughes »


FC Live returns this afternoon with a FA Trophy Special, as we bring you Runcorn Linnets against FC United.

Here is Statto Paul's Preview ... -linnets-a

And if you cannot make this one, join us from 2.30pm on
Ben Hughes

Re: Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Ben Hughes »


Last night we caught up with FC United Manager Neil Reynolds ahead of this afternoon's FA Trophy tie at Runcorn Linnets ... -linnets-a
Ben Hughes

Re: Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Ben Hughes »


This week's This Club is My Club, with reaction and interviews from Saturday's FA Trophy encounter at Runcorn Linnets, as well as Sunday's top of the table clash for the Women's Team at home to Tranmere Rovers. ... mber-2019/
Nick Duckett

Re: Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Nick Duckett »

FC United through to the first round proper of FA Trophy after beating Runcorn
FC United through to the first round proper of FA Trophy after beating Runcorn

FC United are through to the first round proper of FA Trophy after a convincing 3-0 win at Runcorn Linnets with a Tunde Owalabi double and a late strike from Adam Dodd.

As well as a place in Monday’s draw, the win takes the Reds’ unbeaten run to eight games in all competitions.

In what was a scrappy encounter, United never really needed to move out of second gear, but took their time to add to an opening minute goal from Tunde Owalabi.

FC came straight out of the blocks, attacking from the off and when Tunde got free in the area in the first minute there’s usually only one outcome, and he duly obliged tucking the ball into the bottom corner.

It was almost a case of scoring too early though, as the game became a bit scrappy, with a few heavy challenges from both sides breaking up the flow of the game. Chances were at a premium, but as the half wore on the men in red looked to have a physical edge and looked to be getting on top.

The second half started as quickly as the first had and within a penalty after a late challenge. Up stepped Adam Dodd, looking for his fifth goal in four games, but despite his effort from the spot being low, hard and accurate, it wasn’t good enough to get past the Linnets goalkeeper Richie Mottram.

As the half wore on, FC again got on top and turned up the pressure with constant possession and methodically looking to create gaps in the home defence.

The breakthrough came with just over 20 minutes left, as Dodd drove forward from deep on the left hand side, eventually passing to Tunde who turned and saw a scuffed shot find its way into the bottom right hand corner, his 16th goal of the season.

After going 2-0 down, the fight seemed to leave the Linnets players and a late third goal came for FC as Tunde drove forward from the left, this time turning provider as he found Dodd, who kept his goal scoring run going and put FC into the first round proper for the first time since the 2014/15 season.

All eyes will be on Monday’s draw, but the Reds are straight back into league action ?next Saturday? as they welcome third placed Lancaster to Broadhurst Park.

Website man of the match: Adam Dodd. Having an incredible season so far, bagged his fifth goal in four games and dusted himself off from the disappointment of seeing his spot-kick saved to turn provide for the second and score the third on the day.

Report by Craig Phillips
Nick Duckett

Re: Runcorn Linnets v FC UNITED. 3pm Saturday, 23rd November 2019 (FA TROPHY 3QR)

Post by Nick Duckett »

The view from Runcorn
By David 'Bill' Davies
A big crowd was expected for the visit of well-supported FC United in the FA Trophy, and the army of volunteers who helped prepare The Millbank Linnets Stadium, and provide additional catering and

comfort facilities, were not left feeling their efforts were in vain.

An attendance of 962, almost two and-a-half times that for the last round against Prescot Cables,would have made it feel more like a home game for FC United.

That was doubly confusing for returning Linnets favourite Aaron Morris, who was cheered loudly by home fans as the teams were announced, and was seen off at the end as enthusiastically as when he was being instrumental in Runcorn's NW Counties League triumph of 2018.

Statistics don't lie, they say, but if 'they' believe it, they haven't been paying much attention to the General Election campaign. Stats lie more often than they tell the truth.

In this case, a 3-0 win (plus a missed penalty) for the visitors would suggest a passage into the next round without breaking much of a sweat.

While there can be no argument that FC United were the stronger and better side on the day, the scoreline exaggerated the difference, and insulted a committed and unflagging performance by the hosts.

The opening two minutes suggested that the outcome might be even more one-sided than the final score. FC went straight on the offensive from the opening whistle, and their first attack was perhaps inevitably sparked by Aaron Morris.

Winning the ball wide on the right, where the former yellow-and-green centre-back now plies his trade for the Reds, the move led to a low cross by Michael Donohue that was deflected for a corner.

It was played quickly into centre-forward Tunde Owalabi, who was in enough space to dispatch it past Richie Mottram into the far corner, with less than two minutes on the clock.

The home fans feared this almost immediate breakthrough might herald a hammering. It did anything but.

Over the next 20 minutes or so, Runcorn built probably more meaningful attacks than the visitors, although few serious worries resulted for United 'keeper Cameron Belford.

At half-time, it was still 1-0, and in all fairness you would have to say that was just about right.

Linnets debutant Louis Hayes was involved in the centre of midfield from early on, and his billing as a hard-tackling but skilful ball-winner looked accurate.

Only four minutes in, he won the ball and laid it off to Kyle Hamid, who was fouled. The free-kick launched a good run and cross by Ryan Gibson, but it was blocked by centre-back Curtis Jones.

It was the first of many times that the Reds No6 got back to foil the best efforts of the home attack, providing evidence of why Aaron Morris hasn't yet secured a berth in the middle, from where he cleaned up at last season's Linnets player awards.

Over the next few minutes, Morris and Warren Bellew both conceded free-kicks by tripping each other. In both cases, cross-field passing moves failed to break down either defence.

On 14 minutes, a throw-in cleared the head of a United defender for Kurt Sherlock to run on and thread the ball wide right to Gibson in the area. The return found Sherlock again near the by-line, where his

attempt to knock it into the middle was clearly deflected for a corner.

Referee Mr Crusham didn't know that, however, and guessed at a goal-kick.

Three minutes later a Sherlock corner from the left found both Hinnigan and Aley just outside the six-yard box, and it was hard to tell which of the two headed over the bar.

On 20 minutes, Paul Shanley was put through for a one-on-one with the advancing Belford, who just got his left hand there first.

Gibson followed up, and appeared to handle the bouncing ball, albeit accidentally, but Jones was there to cover and clear anyway.

After overlapping moves up the left at the other end by Dodd and Linney, Peter Wylie being equal to the cross, Sherlock put Shanley through for another 50/50 with Belford, but the Runcorn No9 sent his effort just wide.

There was no doubt that through the opening half-hour Linnets had created enough chances to have drawn level. If they had converted one of them, the game might well have taken a different ultimate course.

It was anything but one-way traffic, though, and on 27 minutes there were vocal appeals for a United penalty at the clubhouse end. A little too vocal on the part of Regan Linney, who received a yellow

card for his trouble.

It was one of very few occasions all afternoon where Mr Crusham was tempted to reach for his pocket.

Chances at both ends were dealt with effectively by defences, although when Linnets attacked there was a little more space allowed for them.

The visitors didn't defend in the same numbers as the hosts, but they were repeatedly equal to the task.

A 25-yard free-kick for a foul on Owalabi, just past the half-hour, spelled danger, but his kick was slapped into the wall.

Shortly afterwards, Wylie got to a cross before Tunde to head for a corner. It found Jones, who headed powerfully downwards to trigger a game of pinball, cleared by Hinnigan.

During the last ten minutes before the break United had more of the ball, but were given very little space by the Runcorn rearguard to do much with it. A corner from a safety-first header by Hinnigan found the Reds' Mike Potts in possession, but he was forced to retreat with it back towards his own half.

That followed a cross by Bellew finding Zac Aley, who headed wide when he appeared to have time to hit the target, or at least to test 'keeper Belford.

At the break, Linnets can't have felt they should have been ahead, but with a bit more vigilance in the first two minutes they would have faced the second half level, giving the visitors more worries about exiting to an outfit from the division below.

The second half threatened to begin as the first had. A minute in, FC United had a penalty. I have to confess that from my vantage point I couldn't see who fouled whom.

At this point, 2-0 would have presented a mountain to climb, but long-standing Linnets fans know that Richie Mottram always has a penalty save in him, and so it proved.

The kick by Dodd was no dud, but Richie read it and parried it to safety.

Linnets set out to make the most of the reprieve, a Shanley run being halted by an offside flag, and a break by Bellew ending in an overhit through ball for the No9.

Warren then gave way to Lewis

McKinney, the Oldham loanee who had impressed on his Cheshire Cup debut against Crewe in midweek.

Two more promising breaks on the right, involving Shanley and Gibson, were intercepted, and a foul on Sherlock produced a free-kick, hit too long.

An equal number of chances emerged at the other end including a cross to Owalabi, headed wide, and a speculative high ball into the box which Mottram punched clear.

The substitutions by FC United of Ennis for Curran and Lenehan for Donohue weren't instrumental in the game's turning point, and nor was that of McCarthy for Hamid by Linnets, but they did precede it by moments.

Dodd ran on into the Runcorn third and slipped a pass to Owalabi on the edge of the area. He turned to shoot through a line of defenders with Mottram unsighted, and into the right corner. 2-0 to Tunde and FC United.

The Premier Division side were having more of the ball, led by Griffiths, Potts and Linney, but their opponents were not giving up, and were never going to do so.

A three-way exchange by Shanley, Gibson and Brown with 18 minutes left led to Gibson slipping his marker and firing a cross for McKinney that flew a bit too far for him.

Shortly afterwards, a Gibson-McCarthy one-two was promising, but yet again Jones got to it first in the box.

A Runcorn through ball was then headed backwards by Potts, Belford getting there just ahead of Shanley.

Front man McCarthy replacing midfield general Hamid was a necessary attacking gamble by Michael Ellison, but it would inevitably result in a little less resilience on the retreat.

That may have been conclusive, as a United clearance reached undoubted danger man Tunde. He laid it off for Dodd, who was allowed a bit too much space in the area to stroke it into the corner.

Straight from the kick-off it was back in the Linnets area, and Owalabi was on for his hat-trick, but for a timely tackle by Wylie.

Nobody could argue that Linnets were under siege during any part of the game, but far more of their attacking endeavours were speculative, with the Reds' assaults involving more passing and possession, and being thwarted by tireless defending in numbers.

It was characterised by the last act of the three minutes' added time, a phase of twenty or more passes among seven Reds being terminated by the final whistle.

The home performance deserved much better than a 3-0 reverse, but anything other than an exit from the competition would have been a great escape.

And what of Aaron Morris? Most Linnets fans would feel his powers are under-utilised out wide. The yellow-and-green custom of numbering the back four from left to right created a duel of the No2s, meaning Aaron and left-back Zac Aley spent most of the game resuming their acquaintance.

It has tobe said that more often than not, Zac effectively thwarted his old teammate's endeavours to create much of note on the right-hand side.

Mr Morris was the last player to leave the pitch, delayed by heartfelt hugs and handshakes every step of the way around the perimeter. His continuing journey through the FA Trophy would be applauded with similar enthusiasm in Runcorn.

Back to league duty on Tuesday 26th, with the visit of Brighouse Town (4-0 home winners over Mossley today). If a performance of similar resolve to this one ends in a 3-0 Runcorn defeat, it will speak volumes for the abilities of the Yorkshiremen.

Runcorn Linnets: Richie Mottram, Zac Aley, Jack Hinnigan, Peter Wylie, Ally Brown, Louis Hayes, Ryan Gibson, Kyle Hamid (Connor McCarthy 62), Paul Shanley, Kurt Sherlock, Warren Bellew (Lewis McKinney 53). Subs not used: Louis Corrigan, Declan McGivern, Harry Cannon-Noren, Alex O'Neill, Bayleigh Passant (GK)

Attendance: 962.
Post Reply